Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Mr. Robin Redbreast

Is there something in this world that to you, every time you see it, experience it, maybe just even smell it...it brings back memories?

Robins do that for me. When I lived in the Houston area....Robins meant winter to me as they migrated there during the 'cooler' months of that southcentral city.

Now that I am in the northern portion of the MidWest...seeing a Robin means spring. For the most part, they migrate south during our cold winter months...although you might see a brave one hang around throughout the colder months.

But regardles of winter , spring, summer or fall....Robins represent my grandpa to me...on my Mom's side. Grandpa used to feed and watch the birds all the time. That is one of the most important traits I remember about him. So...why not the sparrows or the blue jays or the cardinals? Maybe because to relate it to Grandpa....I remember the Robins from here. When I was growing up.....we moved every couple of years and I only remember the abundance of them here...not anywhere else. All the others...Blue jays, Cardinals, Sparrows, etc etc....were just about every where else I could be...but Robins...Robins represented my home away from....home of my parents...the one constant thing I could relate to during those youthful, less complicated years. To me they are peace, love....not to mention....fat night crawlers.

They will always hold a special place in my heart. Each and every one of them are sent my way by Grandpa...to make me smile...to make me feel the love and peace that life has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment